CarlAlves

CarlAlves

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - James Rollins In this novelization of the fourth (and by far the most inferior) Indiana Jones movie, James Rollins was given the task of making a credible novel out of this subpar story. By and large, I think Rollins comes up short. Perhaps it was because of the weak source material that he had to work with. Having never tried a movie novelization, I'm unfamiliar with the constraints placed in that situation. I can only review this as a reader and fan of the franchise.

However, there are some significant shortcomings. One is the campiness of the dialogue and some of the action. It had me rolling my eyes in spots. Jones lacks the panache he has in some of his earlier movies. The action really stretches the realm of believability. Furthermore, the introduction of aliens into the Indiana Jones storyline just doesn't work. It's like a romance movie turning into a slasher flick. It just doesn't fit the Indiana Jones motif. Just like the movie, the novel for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull just isn't that good and I would advise skipping it.

Carl Alves - author of Two For Eternity