CarlAlves

CarlAlves

The Ezekiel Option

The Ezekiel Option - Joel C. Rosenberg The Ezekiel Option is a political thriller with heavy religious overtones. It starts off with a Russian oligarch oil baron getting killed in a hijacked airplane that the Americans shoot down prior to it hitting Washington DC. This causes Cold War era hostility between the US and Russia. Shortly thereafter, a coup occurs in Russia, and the president is overthrown. The new Russian dictator has big ambitions, striking alliances with Iran and most of Europe in an attempt to control the world’s oil supply. They also plan on annihilating Israel. Standing in the way of this plot are presidential advisor Jon Bennett and CIA operative Erin McCoy, who were caught up in the coup in Russia. Meanwhile, Dr. Eli Mordechai, the former head of the Mossad, has uncovered Old Testament scripture references that uncover everything that is happening now and will eventually lead to God striking down all of the enemies of Israel.

There were aspects of this novel that I enjoyed. There was a lot of action and intrigue. Overall, I thought the writing was very solid. The immediate comparison is The Left Behind series, and this is about eight million times better than that, but that doesn’t say much because the writing in the Left Behind series is among the worst I’ve ever read. The incorporation of the prophecy was also interesting. Where the novel fails is that it is just so unbelievable and unrealistic. I am only willing to stretch my disbelief so far. To believe that the rest of the world will side with Russia and Iran to attack Israel is utterly preposterous. The reaction of the European countries to what is occurring is similarly unrealistic. In fact, there is very little about this novel that I found believable. I also found the preachiness of the book to be very heavy-handed. Even though I found the scripture prophecies to be interesting, the overly detailed explanation of it ground the novel to a halt at times.

Carl Alves – author of Two For Eternity