CarlAlves

CarlAlves

Revelation

Revelation - Brian W. Matthews Revelation is the sequel to Brian Matthews’s debut novel Forever Man, although it is not a direct continuation of the events in the first novel. This story starts with a firmly convinced atheist, Myles Knight, who runs a blog and tries to debunk any kind of religious relic or artefact. Knight receives a box with a religious artefact that he can’t open, one that people are willing to kill for. On opposite sides of the fence are Bart Owens, an immortal being who is a defender of humanity, and Marbaes, a demon bent on the destruction of humanity. When Myles goes on the run with Bart and his sidekick Katie, they go on a journey that takes them to Africa, Rome, and Turkey. Meanwhile, Reverend Destiny, a radical right-wing preacher, is trying to ignite a fire against Muslims by preaching a very anti-Muslim sentiment. This all culminates at a rally in Dearborn, Michigan where Destiny plans on burning the Quran, and Bart and company must stop him.

I really enjoyed the buildup in this novel. Having read the first novel, I was immediately absorbed into this story. The novel starts off with a bang and is loaded with intrigue. As the story unfolds, more of the backstory that was missing in the first novel is slowly unveiled. The writing is strong and professional. It does what it is supposed to do—keep the reader into the story at all times.

I set the bar pretty high with this novel since Forever Man was one of the better novels I’ve read in recent times. The characters and mythology of this world are intricate and well designed. In comparison to the first novel, I thought the plot wasn’t as tight. On the plus side, I really enjoyed the evolution and revelation (no pun intended) of Bart’s character. I found that aspect of this novel to be fascinating and enriching. One area where I think this novel suffers is some aspects of believability in terms of character motivation and action. What stood out, in particular, was the notion that Reverend Destiny’s denouncement of Islam would start a catastrophic war. People like Destiny exist in our world, and no such war has been started. Otherwise, the novel was moving and gripping and enjoyable to the end.

Carl Alves - author of Two For Eternity