CarlAlves

CarlAlves

Cemetery Dance

Cemetery Dance - Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child This novel starts off with William Smithback, a New York Times reporter, being murdered in his apartment by a man who had died a week earlier. Adding to the fact that the murderer had the appearance of a zombie, it was easy to conclude that this was the work of a zombie. Later, a zombified Smithback kills another reporter. On the case is Pendergast, an FBI agent with a knack of tackling very bizarre cases, and Lieuntenant D’Agosta, your typical gritty New York city cop. All of this leads to a sinister cult that is operating in Manhattan that follow Obeah and vodou.

Although there is a certain level of intrigue in this novel, and there is an interesting whodunit element to it, the story itself is convoluted and hard to believe. By the time the action had completed, I still did not understand how everything went down. When Pendergast provides an explanation I could only roll my eyes. The characters’ actions were so far-fetched and the premises that they were working on were so preposterous that it was hard to take this novel seriously. Although there were elements of the novel that I enjoyed, I just couldn’t get past the over the top lapses in reality. This is a novel I would recommend skipping.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street