CarlAlves

CarlAlves

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington Irving Already being familiar with the tale, there was nothing that was going to surprise me as far as the story goes. I was more interested in the quality of the writing and the author’s story telling ability. Unfortunately, although the writing is competent enough, the story is too long for its content. Basically, nothing happens until the last ten pages or so. The rest of the story is filler. It’s all backstory about Ichabod Crane, and although some of it was amusing, it was unnecessary to the story. There is basically enough content here to fill one episode of Twilight Zone.

Ichabod Crane is somewhat amusing as a character, but at the same time isn’t someone who I would root for. He’s a bit wimpy for my taste, so when he meets his demise at the Horeseman’s hands, it didn’t bother me all that much. The description of the Horseman was pretty good, but I would have preferred more graphic details of his encounter with Crane. In the end, I found the story to be a bit disappointing. Not that it was bad, it was just overwritten and didn’t meet my expectations.

Carl Alves – author of Reconquest: Mother Earth