CarlAlves

CarlAlves

Swan Song

Swan Song - Robert R. McCammon Swan Song is an epic post-apocalyptic novel similar in certain ways to Stephen King’s The Stand, but certainly not at the same level of awesomeness. The novel starts off with a nuclear holocaust, which wipes everything out. A group of characters who survive the bombings work toward each other all with the purpose of saving a mystical young girl called Swan, protecting her from the Man of Many Faces. McCammon assembles an excellent cast of characters, my favorite being the former professional wrestler known as Black Frankenstein, who really develops a bond with Swan.

The plot in the novel is compelling and progresses well. The writing is also top notch. I thought the novel was fantastic for about 4/5ths of the way through. It was really shaping up to be one of my favorite horror/fantasy novels, and then the end absolutely falls apart. The last fifth of the novel was poorly thought out and a serious let down. It didn’t kill the entire novel for me, but it really knocks it down a couple of notches. Without spoiling the novel, I won’t give away what happens, but I found it absolutely preposterous and not worthy of the rest of the novel. I would still recommend the novel, but not as enthusiastically as I would if it had a better ending.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street