CarlAlves

CarlAlves

Zombies Vs. Unicorns

Zombies Vs. Unicorns - Garth Nix, Libba Bray, Maureen Johnson, Diana Peterfreund, Justine Larbalestier, Margo Lanagan, Alaya Dawn Johnson, Kathleen Duey, Carrie Ryan, Cassandra Clare, Holly Black, Scott Westerfeld This anthology doesn’t literally pit zombies against unicorns, but instead has half of its stories featuring zombies and the other half featuring unicorns. It’s an interesting enough premise, enough to get me to read, however, by and large, the stories left me ambivalent. Like most anthologies there was some good and some not so good stories. Overall, however, I felt the stories generally lacked any real bite (no pun intended). Perhaps they were aimed for a younger audience, but I was left a little underwhelmed by it all. A prime example of this is Meg Cabot’s story “Princess Prettypants.” I would have preferred the stories to have a bit more of an edge to them even if it was intended for more of a YA audience. It seemed as if the stories were more going for laughs than chills and thrills. With all of that said, there were some decent stories in the anthology that were worth listening to.

Carl Alves – author of Reconquest: Mother Earth