CarlAlves

CarlAlves

The Strangers

The Strangers - Mort Castle The Strangers is a bit of a demented novel with a killer premise. Michael Louden lives as ordinary a life as he could. He has a well-paying professional job, a wife and two kids, and is ordinary in every way – except for the fact that he is sociopathic killer lurking underneath his placid exterior. Michael is a part of a society that calls itself The Strangers. They live normal lives and kill people when the opportunity presents itself, waiting for one day when the Strangers will rise and go on a killing spree taking over society from the normals.

This is a disturbing novel in so many ways. Most of it is because Michael comes off as so ordinary and is convincing about it. It makes you wonder if your neighbor or co-worker or friend could be a cold-blooded killer just waiting for the right moment to explode. He even hates his children and wants to kill them as well. That last part was a little hard to swallow. I figure even a sociopath would care about his children. His wife begins to suspect that Michael isn’t the person who she thinks he is, but with a psychiatrist friend gets her committed. Toward the end, Michael’s cruelty really comes to the forefront. The story is well written and stylistically very enjoyable. I really enjoyed the twist at the end of the story. Even though the clues were planted earlier on, I did not see it coming. This was a strong novel that I recommend reading.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street