CarlAlves

CarlAlves

The Surgeon

The Surgeon - Tess Gerritsen In this serial killer novel, the culprit is somebody with a medical background who has been dubbed by the media as “The Surgeon”. On the case are Detectives Moore and Rizzoli, who consulted in a case in Georgia a couple of years earlier. Tied into the two cases are Dr. Catherine Cordell, who killed the man responsible for the previous murders. She is now in Boston where the attacks are happening, and appears to be the center of the killer’s obsession.

I have read so many serial killer novels, that I tend to get bored by them. There is only so much that can be done on the subject, and it pretty much has already been done before. With the lack of new ground, there has to be something that really stands out to make it interesting. Nothing stands out about this novel. The writing is certainly solid and I don’t have much to complain about. It’s very obvious early on that the person performing the murders is someone who was involved with the original murderer, so the reveal is hardly surprising. Everything else about the novel is fairly generic and not horribly compelling. Not that this was a bad novel, it just doesn’t stand out.

Carl Alves – author of Blood Street