CarlAlves

CarlAlves

A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin The bar was set high as I embarked on reading A Game of Thrones. The HBO series is absolutely fantastic, the best show on television, in my humble opinion. However high my expectations were, the novel far exceeded them for one simple reason - George R.R. Martin is an absolutely sensational writer. As a fellow author, I can appreciate the skill and flawless technique that Martin displays. His description of scenes and the intricate details that he adds makes the novel come to life in a way that few writers I have ever read are capable of pulling off. Simply put, Martin is a master of prose. His characters are incredibly well-drawn, the suspense and tension are gripping, his command of the language is without peer.

I was amazed at how closely the HBO series followed the novel, even to the point where they used much of the same dialogue. It's little wonder that the show is so good - the source material is of the highest quality. Martin eclipses the vast majority of the fantasy writers that I have read. A Game of Thrones is one of the best fantasy novels I've ever read. If you haven't done so already, you need to read this book.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street