CarlAlves

CarlAlves

Born in Death

Born in Death - J.D. Robb, Susan Ericksen This is the first J.D. Robb book that I read, and I came away largely unimpressed. Set in a futuristic New York City, detective Eve Dallas starts off helping her friend Mavis as a birthing coach, even though she hates the thoughts of delivering a baby. Why she was there made no sense to me, since Mavis's partner was already there. Mavis has Eve investigate the disappearance of her friend, which coincidentally is connected to the murder case she's investigating. In fact, the level of coincidences in thsi book are down right absurd.

There really was not much to like in this novel. The characters were neither compelling nor believable. The melodrama was high, the tension low. As far as the detective and mystery aspect of this book, it fell flat. In reading some of the reviews, apparently one of the drawing points to this series is in getting to know some of the characters, but these characters don't seem worth getting to know. The novel was unimpressive and unispiring. I don't see myself coming back for more.
Carl Alves - author of Two For Eternity