CarlAlves

CarlAlves

Shamrock Alley

Shamrock Alley - Ronald Malfi Shamrock Alley is a thriller written by Ronald Malfi based on the real life story of his father, who was a Secret Service agent, represented in this novel as John Mavio, who brought down some nasty gangsters in Hell’s Kitchen. Mavio and his partner Bill Kirsch are investigating a counterfeit money ring which leads them to Mickey O’Shay and Jimmy Kahn, two brutal young gangsters who employ violence as currency. O’Shay and Khan rule Hell’s Kitchen with intimidation. Khan is an intelligent businessman, while O’Shay is an absolute nut. Together they make a formidable team that Mavio is determined to bring down, regardless of the cost.
To say that Shamrock Alley is well written and entertaining hardly tells the story. Malfi’s tightly written prose and well constructed plot become obvious right from the beginning. But what stands out most is the way the characters come off the page and become alive. Perhaps it was because Malfi was so close to the subject matter, but Malfi has created one of the grittiest and most realistic pieces of fiction I have ever read. The dialogue, the emotion, the intensity, the action come together seamlessly. If Shamrock Alley was a movie, and I think it should be, it would be the type of movie that makes you stay on the edge of your seat.
As the novel progresses, John Mavio starts to spiral into an abyss. His desire to take down Khan and O’Shay become an obsession. He dives deeply into the underworld to get close to O’Shay. You can almost feel his sanity begin to unravel. The danger becomes very real as the gangsters invade his apartment and he has to get his pregnant wife out of imminent danger. The climax is both dramatically intense and satisfying. Simply put, Shamrock Alley is one of the best crime thrillers I have ever read, and I have read many.

Carl Alves - author of Two For Eternity