CarlAlves

CarlAlves

The Wolf's Hour

The Wolf's Hour - Robert R. McCammon When I was in high school I wanted to write a story with a werewolf and my friend suggested I read this book. I had never heard of Robert McCammon before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. What I got was a book that I couldn’t put down. Wolf’ s Hour is much more than just a werewolf book, although just at that level, it’s a fantastic read.

Wolf’s Hour is as much a World War II novel who’s main character, Michael Gallatin is a British spy who also happens to be a werewolf. That in itself is a pretty ingenious idea by Mr. McCammon. Gallatin is tasked with uncovering a top secret Nazi plan to stop D-Day. The plot is both gripping and thrilling, but some of the best parts of the book are flashbacks to Gallatin’s youth as a werewolf. The world building that McCammon does is excellent, and his blend of fantasy and history is handled with exceptional skill. The book also is chocked full of some nasty bad guys Nazis who I wanted to find an untimely demise.

This was the first book I read by Robert McCammon but certainly not the last. His story telling ability is that of a master and this is one of his finest works.
Carl Alves - author of Two For Eternity