CarlAlves

CarlAlves

Breathers: A Zombie's Lament

Breathers: A Zombie's Lament - S.G. Browne I’m not generally one for humor in my reading. I tend to like my novels dark and serious. Although sufficiently dark, Breathers is also quite funny, and well written, and compelling and one of the best zombie novels I’ve ever read. There has been so much written about zombies that it’s hard to cover any new ground, but S.G. Browne really has a unique take on the world of zombies. The zombie world set up in Breathers is one that zombies exist in normal society. Virtually everything with zombies tends to be post-apocalyptic. I especially enjoyed how Browne incorporated zombie popular culture into his novel. For instance in Breathers the same zombie movies that exist in our world, like Night of the Living Dead also exist in Breathers and the zombies even watch them.

The main character, Andy is a zombie living with his parents after he re-animates. Badly mistreated by his parents, he begins a quest for zombie rights after eating his parents and finding out that eating Breathers (people) helps zombies heal, gain strength and become almost human again. Andy’s quest makes him a celebrity and starts a national zombie’s rights movement. After eating enough Breathers, his zombie girlfriend Rita, even becomes pregnant. But since this is dark, things don’t exactly turn out well for Andy. Breathers is a masterpiece by S.G. Browne, taking zombie fiction to a whole new level.