CarlAlves

CarlAlves

Frameshift

Frameshift - Robert J. Sawyer Frameshift is a thought provoking, well written sci-fi novel. Heavily centered on genetics and genetics research, Pierre Tardivel is a genetic scientist who suffers from Huntingdon's Disease working on the Human Genome Project. His wife Molly can read other people's thoughts. Early on in the story he is attacked by a man with a knife. He survives the knife attack. This sets into motion a number of seemingly unrelated events. Because of his Huntingdon's he wants to have a child but not pass on his bad genes. This leads to the in vitro fertilization of his wife with his boss's sperm. The boss, Burian Klimus, is a Nobel Prize winning scientist, who may or may not be Ivan the Terrible from the Treblinka prison camp. Meanwhile, Avi Meyer of the Justice department has been trying to track down Nazis and Ivan the Terrible in particular for years. There is also a sinister insurance company that figures into the story as these separate story lines converge.

This is the first Robert Sawyer novel that I have read, and I enjoy his prose and story telling style. The characters are well developed. There is a sufficient amount of tension in the story, and there is a decent mystery component to it. There were some flaws in the novel. I thought the genetics described in the book was a little more detailed than it needed to be. The beginning of the story jumps in time back and forth and was hard to follow. The story went a little too heavy into conspiracies, and in particular, the one involving the insurance company made me groan. That being said, this was a well written and enjoyable story that I would recommend.
Carl Alves - author of Blood Street