CarlAlves

CarlAlves

Lucky Bastard

Lucky Bastard - S.G. Browne Meet Nick Monday. He’s a private investigator and a luck poacher. Luck poacher? Nick Monday can steal a person’s luck from them, good or bad, just by shaking their hand. He then processes it in a rather disgusting manner and sells it to people. I never fully understood why he wouldn’t just take the luck and go to Vegas or buy a bunch of lottery tickets, but it apparently doesn’t work well doing it that way.

Lucky Bastard is 355 pages of sheer brilliance. It’s the type of novel that just flies by as your reading it. It’s light, it’s fun, the pacing is great and the characters are both memorable and likeable. Nick Monday is a well crafted character who wears sarcasm like a badge of honor and is loaded with flaws, yet still remains likeable. There is Tommy Wong, the Hugh Hefner like Asian gangster who is forcing our brave hero to poach luck for him or face a gruesome death. There is Nick’s assistant Doug, a.k.a Bow Wow who is a wannabe gangsta rapper. You have scooter girl, a maybe luck poacher who Nick has the hots for, and a woman pretending to be the daughter of San Francisco’s mayor, whose luck got poached by Nick. But my favorite is Alex, the irritating vegan driver working for Tommy Wong. His back and forth insults with Nick are absolutely priceless. Undoubtedly these characters will be staying with me for a while.

The book takes place in one day. As the day progresses, things just keep getting worse for our brave hero, and the by the end of it, all hell has broken loose, and Nick’s life has spiraled out of control. Nick has to keep himself alive as well as his sister and a little boy who has pure, the highest grade of good luck there is. Mixed in with all of the humor is a good deal of poignancy . Nick develops into a character the reader can root for, despite all of his flaws. Lucky Bastard is loaded with quirks that keep things interesting, such as the fact that due to his condition any barista Nick comes into contact with falls for him, or the federal agent who Nick calls Barry Manilow, who is forcing Nick to try to bring down Tommy Wong. Lucky Bastard is a lot of fun, very well written, and loads of entertainment. Get yourself a copy of this book. You will not regret it.

Carl Alves - author of Two for Eternity